Friday, September 24, 2010

Over the Rainbow

Over the Rainbow

New edge, over the rainbow
running through iridescent swamp,
mystic desert, lush green
fantasies covered in silk
poppy-killing snow.
Who do you ever really know?
Sins and shadows
Erupt like boils, like
volcanoes dormant for years,
like
"Caught you!  Thought I was blind?
Or a fool!  Can't catch me twice, with
one eye sleeping.  My fury knows
no writs nor injunctions.
Take your medicine, writhe in
agony; lose your integrity,
become a thing of poignant
beauty, limping off into bitter
days."
No defense.  No glory.
I sneak through a crack in
the world.
Here in the center, we bake bread,
forge untold treasure, sing
holy dreams into the ears of 
misbegotten slaves.
Sometimes a song on the radio,
slipping through the airwaves,
tells us something true.
Sometimes I look at you,
and see a wondrous child,
rainbows shining in
wide-open dreaming eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment